Could you sign on to this pledge?
Truth and Civility Election Watch Pledge
For the duration of the election season, I hereby pledge to uphold the highest standards of truth and civility in word, thought, and deed.
On my honor, I will:
• Just say no to crazy email forwards, and to any other noxious electronic communication that comes my way.
• Communicate in a spirit of truth, humility, love, and patience with all people I come in contact with, despite our political disagreements or family relationship.
• Question any and all statements that sound mean, vindictive, or absurd; that provide no source or context; or that are politically motivated. So, pretty much everything you hear on cable TV news.
• Share and enjoy stories of folks who are living out an attitude of truth and civility. Make sure each story meets both requirements: Nice people telling lies don’t count.
• As a witness for God, encourage and spread a message of hope and reconciliation to a world that is deeply divided by political and cultural differences. Like Jesus taught.
Great idea. Of course the problem is the number of people who don’t know a crazy or obnoxious email forward when they see it, but think it’s the Gods-honest-truth.